Can dogs eat mice?

Do you have any queries regarding “can dogs eat mice?”. You’re at the right place. Here we will also discuss whether dogs get sick after eating mice, whether dogs can eat dead mice, and what you should do if your dog ate mice.

Can dogs eat mice?

No, dogs cannot eat mice. Catching mice is a natural habit of carnivores. They used to do so in the wild. But with time, their obsession with hunting diminished as dogs became domesticated.

Still, almost every dog has a small instinct to hunt, but eating them should not be an option. Eating rodents can lead to many undesirable consequences.

Can dogs get sick after eating mice?

Following are the reasons why your fluffy should not go for eating mice:


Toxoplasmosis is caused by a protozoan called toxoplasma. If a dog eats a mouse that has previously been infected with toxoplasma, it will be transferred to your dog and can cause sickness. Following are the symptoms of toxoplasmosis in dogs:

  • Diarrhea 
  • Pneumonia
  • Fever 
  • Seizures
  • Liver disease


Eating mice infected with roundworm larvae leads to roundworm infestation in your pets. These worms eat what your dog eats and live in your dog’s gut. Their length varies from 8-12cm.

Your dog might have the following symptoms if it has roundworms:

  • Potbelly
  • Diarrhea
  • Dull hair 
  • Weight loss
  • Death (in severe infestation of roundworms)

If you saw your dog eating mice, rush to your vet without making any delay. 


Leptospira bacteria cause it. Suppose your dog came in contact with mice urine that has leptospira. Usually, dogs show symptoms of fever, lethargy, anorexia, polydipsia, and diarrhea. It would be best to involve your veterinarian if you observe something usual in your dog.

If your female doggo is pregnant and has eaten mice having leptospira, the disease can be passed on to the puppies. To prevent this, you should get your doggo leptospira vaccine shots.

Can dogs eat dead mice?

Your dog will see a dead mouse and might want to eat it, but it is not a good idea. If a mouse is found dead, it has more likely eaten rat bait and died. In that case, if your pet eats mice, there are chances that he will get poisoned too.

Bromethalin is used chiefly as poison to kill rats that act on the mice’s nervous system to kill them. It causes neurological damage in mice. If the mice have remnants of that poison and your dog eats those mice, it will cause poisoning in your dog.

If you have seen your dog eat dead mice, the mice are probably doomed from the poison. Take the dog to the nearby vet as soon as possible to prevent poisoning in your fluffy.

What should I do if my dog ate a mouse?

First things first, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. Meanwhile, you should provide your dog with first aid and clean its mouth so that you can wipe out the poison and it doesn’t get more absorbed in your dog’s body.

The dogs have a natural system of cleaning their mouth by producing saliva, but you should not totally rely on that. Help your dog clean its mouth by following the steps:

  • Tear a small piece of cloth and make it wet.
  • Add salt, water it baking soda to the cloth and wrap it around your finger.
  • Open the mouth of your dog and gently pull the tongue outwards.
  • Start cleaning your dog’s teeth and gums.
  • Wipe your dog’s tongue too.
  • Do not take your finger near its throat; it will make your dog gag.
  • Encourage your dog to drink chicken broth or have chew sticks.
  • Brush its teeth with toothpaste. Don’t use human mouthwash or toothpaste as it can harm your dog.

How to prevent my dog from eating mice?

Following are the helpful tips you should follow if your dog is eating dead mice.

  • Train your dog to follow your “leave it” command. Teach him to follow this order so that whenever you ask him to leave the mice, it does leave the mice.
  • Put a treat on the floor and put your foot on it. Let your dog sniff and wait for you to lift the foot. Call him again when your dog starts to walk away and reward him with a different treat.
  • Do not leave your dog alone when you take your pooch on a walk. Look for your dog so that he does not pick up some dead animal or eat it. 
  • Use mouse repellents in your house.


We hope now you know everything regarding “can dogs eat mice?”. Here we also discussed whether dogs could get sick after eating mice, can eat dead mice, and what you should do if your dog ate mice.