In this article, we will answer the question, “Can dogs eat ground turkey?” along with some other questions like is ground turkey safe for your dog, can dogs eat turkey bones, and how to serve turkey to your dog.
Can dogs eat ground turkey?
Yes, dogs can eat ground turkey. It is safe and healthy for your dog to consume ground turkey because it is a rich source of lean protein. It also has vitamin B, iron, zinc, selenium, and potassium which are healthy for your dog.
Is ground turkey safe for your dog?
Yes, ground turkey is safe for your dog to consume. Following are the health benefits of ground turkey for your dog:
Ground turkey has B vitamins like vitamin B6 and B3, also known as niacin. B vitamins are responsible for converting food into energy. It is also essential in stabilizing the DNA structure and boosting red blood cell production.
There are many minerals in the ground meat of the turkey. Following are the essential minerals in ground turkey:
Iron is essential for supplying oxygen to the body organs. Red blood cells have a core protein called hemoglobin which needs iron to supply oxygen to the body organs.
If there is a deficiency of iron in the body, it can lead to anemia, a condition in which there is shortage of oxygen supply in the body.
Following are the clinical signs of anemia in the body:
- Increased heart rate
- Increased respiration
- Loss of appetite
- Pale mucous membrane.
- Excessive sweating
Selenium is the next mineral on the list, which is responsible for the healthy immune system of the body.
Selenium is responsible for promoting the immune-mediated cells in the body. These immune-mediated cells protect the body from harmful pathogens. It also kills the pathogens that gain entry into the body.
The last mineral on the list is potassium. Potassium is responsible for healthy nerve conduction and controlling high blood pressure in the body.
Healthy nerve conduction leads to proper coordination between different cells of the body.
An increase in potassium decreases the sodium level in the blood. The high sodium level in the blood can cause high blood pressure.
Turkey is the source of lean protein, which is helpful in building strong muscles in the body. Strong muscles can keep your dog healthy and fit.
So far we have discussed the beneficial effects of ground turkey on your dog’s health. Now let’s dive into the details of what are the risks of giving a ground turkey to your dog?
What are the risks of consuming ground turkey for your dog?
Following are the health risks of consuming ground turkey for your dog:
- Turkey skin has a high amount of fat content, which is not healthy for your dog because it can cause obesity and pancreatitis in your dog.
- Avoid giving raw turkey to your dog because of bacterial infections like Salmonella and E.coli in your dog.
- Seasonings and salt are bad for your dog to consume because they can cause dehydration, anemia, and high blood pressure in your dog.
- Processed meat is full of added salt and preservatives which are not healthy for your dog to consume. Preservatives are toxic for your dog to consume so you should avoid them.
- Too much turkey can cause stomach upset in your dog.
Can dogs eat turkey bones?
No, dogs cannot eat turkey bones. It is not safe for your dog to consume turkey bones because turkey bones can splinter in the mouth and can cause:
- Mouth wounds
- Intestinal obstruction
- Intestinal injuries
- Can rupture the stomach
Raw and cooked bones are not healthy for your dog.
Following are the clinical signs of internal injuries in your dog:
- Blood in stool
- Difficulty in defecation
- Excessive sweating
- Abdominal pain
You should avoid giving such bones to your dog because it can lead to the death of your beloved furry friend.
How to serve ground turkey to your dog?
Following are the key points you should keep in mind before serving ground turkey to your dog:
- Remove the skin before serving it, skin has a high amount of fat which is not healthy for your dog.
- Serve it plain to your dog without any added salt and seasonings which are toxic for your dog.
- Remove the bones before serving them to your dog as bones are lethal for your dog.
- Give a small amount of ground turkey to your dog so that your dog can digest it easily.
In this article, we answered the query, “Can dogs eat ground turkey?” We also discussed other questions like is ground turkey safe for your dog, can dogs eat turkey bones, and how to serve turkey to your dog.