In this brief discussion, we will answer the question “Can dogs eat diapers?” We will also talk about how to take action if a dog has eaten a diaper and ways to prevent dogs from eating diapers.
Can dogs eat diapers?
Yes, dogs can eat diapers, but they should not. Eating diapers are among the many risks that a dog may be exposed to at home. Diaper ingestion can cause serious health issues for dogs.
Diapers, if eaten by a dog, can cause blockage in the digestive tract. The symptoms do not show up right away so it is best that the dog is taken to see a vet immediately in order to avoid any major health issues.
Why would dogs eat diapers?
It sounds pretty disgusting but dogs actually love the smell and taste of poopy diapers so apparently, they are a tasty treat for dogs. Boredom or lack of attention may also result in dogs getting attracted to diapers.
Sometimes they may just play and rip diapers apart but one can never be sure whether a dog has ingested some part of it. If there is a new baby in the house, the pet pal might be feeling left out all of a sudden.
Dogs then start engaging in naughty activities to get their human’s attention. Moreover, with a new baby in the house come so many different and tiny items that usually make dogs curious and it is hard for them to resist indulging in some mischievous behavior.
What to do if a dog eats diapers?
If a dog has eaten a diaper, whether clean or dirty, they are at risk of developing several health conditions. The first thing would be to get in touch with a veterinarian without wasting any time.
If you are not sure whether your dog has actually ingested the diaper or you cannot reach a vet, observe the dog based on the following signs:
- A bloated stomach
- Abdominal pain
- An unusual way of walking
- Unusual breathing
- Decrease in food intake
Moreover, it is extremely important to keep calm if a situation like this arises and take mental notes of information that you would be required to provide a veterinarian with. We have gathered some things to remember as follows:
- The type of diaper that the dog ate
- Amount of diaper that has been ingested
- Any symptoms observed
- Around what time the dog ingested the diaper
- Was the diaper clean or dirty?
Being vigilant of these points can help speed up the treatment of the dog and make the investigation easier.
Is the diaper gel toxic to dogs?
While toxicity is not the only concern with diaper ingestion by dogs, the gel in diapers is actually not toxic. However, it does not mean that it is safe. The gel in diapers is made from silica that allows absorption and this chemical is not digested by dogs.
The first and foremost concern is blockages that are caused by eating diapers. Each of the layers in diapers is indigestible and the fluid absorbent material between these layers can cause severe dehydration when ingested.
Is eating diapers a choking hazard?
Yes, if dogs eat diapers they might choke. If you see a diaper in the dog’s mouth or are certain that it has been lodged in the throat, try and attempt the following:
- If the dog in question is small, gently lift it by the thighs and sway from left to right while keeping an eye on whether something comes out or not. Also, apply a little pressure to the abdomen.
- The Heimlich Maneuver is a type of CPR that you can learn for your education and this is used for big dogs:
- Place your arm around the belly if your dog is standing and make a fist just behind the ribcage as you push up and forward.
- For a dog lying down, place a hand on its back and squeeze the abdomen upwards with the other.
- Look out for and remove immediately any loose objects dislodged from the dog’s mouth.
How to prevent dogs from eating diapers?
Keep in mind the following steps that will help prevent your dog from eating a diaper and keep you from a possibly costly visit to the vet:
- Store unused diapers in an area, preferably high, where the dog cannot reach it. An enclosed space works too so your dog cannot get into it.
- For used diapers use a trash can that is dog-proof.
- In order to be extra careful, use a bag for every dirty dapper before throwing it away so dogs do not get attracted by the smell.
Avoid a bigger problem by taking immediate action in case a dog has swallowed a diaper.
We answered the question “Can dogs eat diapers?” We also talked about how to take action if a dog has eaten a diaper and ways to prevent dogs from eating diapers.