Can dogs eat club crackers?

In this brief discussion, we’ll answer the question “ can dogs eat club crackers? “ We will also discuss the possible risks of feeding club crackers to dogs and what to do if a dog consumes excess club crackers.

Can dogs eat club crackers?

No, dogs cannot eat club crackers. They have a high sodium content which is highly unhealthy for dogs. Dogs can develop sodium toxicity from eating too many club crackers. Moreover, club crackers are empty calories and don’t provide any health benefits to dogs.

Therefore, It is better to store the Club Crackers on a high shelf or on top of the refrigerator to keep your furry friends away from them.

What are club crackers?

Club crackers are tiny square crackers made by the Keebler corporation. These are light, buttery and flaky snacks which can be topped with sour cream and caviar for a quick canape or eaten as a snack with cheese or peanut butter.

The ingredients used in making club crackers include Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Folic Acid, Soybean Oil (with TBHQ for Freshness), Sugar, Containing 2% or Less Salt. 

They also contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Corn Syrup and Soy Lecithin.

What is the sodium content of club crackers?

Club crackers are merely “empty” fillers with few nutritional benefits for your pets. A modest amount won’t make your dog ill, but anything more could upset their stomach. The salt concentration in club crackers is one concern. 

One Kellogg’s Club Original Cracker should have roughly 32 mg of sodium in it, according to the product label. According to the National Academy of Sciences, a healthy adult dog weighing around 33 pounds should consume roughly 200 mg of sodium daily. 

As you can see, a dog’s daily intake is already 16% consumed by a single cracker. Therefore, you should keep club crackers away from your dog.

Are club crackers bad for dogs?

Yes, club crackers are bad for dogs. They offer very little nutritional benefits and do more harm than good to dogs. Crackers contain the following nutrients in large amounts which makes them unhealthy for dogs.


The club crackers are high in calories due to their high carbohydrate content. Obesity or weight gain might result from eating too many crackers. This can highly affect the overall health of dogs and make them more prone to certain health issues.


Large amounts of salt in club crackers might cause health issues like dehydration or excessive urination. Sodium ion poisoning can also result from high sodium concentration. Lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhoea are some signs of salt toxicity in dogs.

What are the possible risks of feeding club crackers to dogs?

Club crackers are salty and too much salt might be harmful to your dog’s health. The following dangers result from your dog eating too many crackers:

  • Consuming too much salt can quickly dehydrate your dog’s cells. When a dog is severely dehydrated it can experience lethargy, confusion, cramps in the muscles, and even neurological repercussions.
  • Overeating crackers might make your dog’s blood pressure go up. Your dog’s blood pressure may rise as a result of this illness, also known as hypernatremia. If your dog has anaemia, high blood pressure might be deadly.

What causes sodium poisoning?

Eating foods that are high in salt can cause dehydration and increase the sodium concentration in your dog’s blood. As a result, sodium poisoning occurs. 

Although salt (sodium), which is a naturally occurring element, is something that your dog’s body requires, too much of it can be harmful or even fatal. 

A vital component of your dog’s metabolic system, sodium chloride, which is necessary to maintain the levels of water in the body, causes sodium poisoning.

What are the symptoms of sodium poisoning in dogs?

Dogs may exhibit a variety of symptoms of salt poisoning, including neurological, gastrointestinal, and even cardiovascular symptoms. 

The most typical symptoms are intense thirst and frequent urine, which, if your dog has access to enough fresh water to drink, may help save his life. This helps to dilute the salt in the blood and can be eliminated from the body through urine. 

The most frequently reported symptoms of salt toxicity are Coma, Confusion, Convulsions, extreme urination and thirst, accumulation of fluid, Headache, extreme fever, higher heart rate (tachycardia), lack of energy, reduced appetite, muscle spasms, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and seizures.

What should I do if my dog eats excess club crackers?

Get your dog a fresh bowl of water first if it has consumed too many club crackers. This is because your dog will already be dehydrated. Then keep an eye out for symptoms of salt poisoning, such as dehydration, stomach pain, vomiting and fever etc.

For proper treatment, going to your veterinarian is the best option. If necessary, intravenous hydration can be administered, and other allergic reactions can be managed according to your dog’s condition.


We answered the question “ can dogs eat club crackers? “ We also discussed the possible risks of feeding club crackers to dogs and what to do if a dog consumes excess club crackers.


Leave a Comment