Can dogs eat chocolate Purina?

In this brief discussion, we will answer the question “Can dogs eat chocolate Purina?” We will also talk about what happens if dogs eat chocolate products and what measures to take in such a situation.

Can dogs eat chocolate Purina?

Absolutely not. While dogs love the taste of sugary foods, they’re equally toxic for them, especially chocolate. Anything with chocolate can lead to chocolate poisoning in dogs so it should best be kept far away from their reach.

Theobromine is a component of chocolate that can be naturally metabolised by humans but not by dogs. As a result, consuming any food item containing chocolate causes theobromine to accumulate, which can be dangerous. 

Some types of chocolate have larger concentrations than others; milk chocolate has a lower concentration of theobromine than dark, bitter chocolate. 

Unfortunately, because every animal’s metabolic rate varies, it is impossible to pinpoint the precise quantity of chocolate that a dog must take in order to put itself in danger of serious sickness.

How does theobromine affect dogs?

The half-life of theobromine in humans is two to three hours, according to the British Medical Journal (the amount of time it takes for its body concentration to decrease by half). In dogs, it is closer to 18 hours, which implies it has more time to potentially cause harm before leaving the system.

Theobromine damages the respiratory, cardiovascular, and central neurological systems in dogs. Dogs will urinate more as a result of its diuretic effect, which increases the risk of dehydration. 

Theobromine poisoning symptoms might develop within two hours, but they can potentially take up to a day to manifest.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning?

Keep a tight check on your dog for the next 24 hours if you think they may have eaten chocolate because this is when symptoms of chocolate poisoning will most likely start to appear. Look out for the following symptoms:

  • Diarrhoea
  • Restlessness
  • Spike in heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Frequent urination
  • Increased rate of breathing

Your dog may vomit the chocolate very fast and not experience any worsening symptoms. If you are aware of the type and quantity of chocolate that was consumed, it is best to consult a veterinarian for more information.

How is chocolate poisoning treated in dogs?

Dogs poisoned by chocolate should be treated by skilled veterinarians. This guarantees that any significant actions can be carried out immediately and without difficulty. This raises the likelihood that your dog will make a stable recovery as a result. 

Following are some of the ways that are used to treat chocolate poisoning in dogs:

  • To induce vomiting and help your dog throw up extra chocolate, your veterinarian may employ a variety of techniques.
  • Activated charcoal can interact with your dog’s system and lessen the effects of ingested chocolate as a straightforward yet efficient treatment.
  • Intravenous medications can be used to lessen the severity of chocolate poisoning. Every situation is unique, thus the dosage and routine vary.
  • Anticonvulsants are medications used to decrease symptoms of hyperactivity. An experienced veterinarian’s suggested dosage may be able to relax your pet.
  • Heart medications are used to help the dog’s heart rate and keep it from falling.

What alternative foods can dogs have?

Make sure you only give your dog treats that are healthy, vetted, and specifically prepared. Your dog will choose to spend a few hours chewing on a rawhide bone or take a fast and rewarding sniff from the bag of dog treats. 

There are several dog treats on the market that are not only delightful for your dog but also offer a number of health benefits, such as extra nutrients and dental care.

Carob is frequently used in place of chocolate in upscale dog treats. It is common to mistake carob for chocolate due to their similar appearances. In some specialised dog bakeries, treats contain a tiny bit of milk chocolate. 

This might be safe for the majority of dogs because theobromine levels are typically low. However, the majority of vets advise against giving your dog any kind of chocolate.

How to prevent my dog from eating chocolate?

You may take the following steps to prevent dogs from accidentally ingesting chocolate:

  • Make sure to use airtight containers for items that contain chocolate.
  • Do not leave chocolate outside on the counter or your couch where it’s accessible.
  • Teach your dog commands to drop the piece of chocolate that your furry friend is about to devour.
  • Let others in your house know about what foods should be kept away from the dog.
  • Keep chocolate products high up in cupboards and carefully dispose of the wrappers because dogs love playing with those and could accidentally eat some off of them.

Conclusion

We answered the question “Can dogs eat chocolate Purina?” We also talked about what happens if dogs eat chocolate products and what measures to take in such a situation.

References 

https://www.dutch.com/blogs/dogs/can-dogs-eat-chocolate

https://www.purina.eu/dogs/health-and-nutrition/what-not-to-feed/dogs-and-chocolate#:~:text=Chocolate%20contains%20an%20ingredient%20called,theobromine%2C%20which%20can%20become%20toxic.

https://www.petpost.com.au/blogs/dog/can-dogs-eat-chocolate

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/chocolate-poisoning-in-dogs

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment