Can dogs eat cheez-it?

In this brief discussion, we will answer the question “can dogs eat cheez-it?” We will also talk about Is cheez-it safe for dogs?  What ingredients are used to make cheez-it? And Is cheez-it healthy for dogs? 

Can dogs eat cheez-it?

No, dogs cannot eat cheez-it. Cheez-it is not suitable for dog health because it has a high salt and fat content. 

These snacks in small amounts will not affect your dog’s health in any way but large quantities can result in serious health complications. These snacks can cause sodium poisoning, trigger allergies, and cause pancreatitis as well in case of overconsumption. Therefore, it is better to keep cheez-it away from dogs

Is cheez-it safe for dogs?

No, cheez-it is not safe for dogs. One or two crackers will not cause any health issues in dogs. However, more quantities can make dogs evidently sick. This is because cheez-it contains high levels of salt and fats which are responsible for causing sodium poisoning and pancreatitis.

 Moreover, cheez-it contains cheese as well which can trigger allergic reactions in dogs. So you should not feed cheez-it to dogs, especially those who are allergic to milk or lactose intolerant.

What ingredients are used to make cheez-it?

Cheez-it is available in the market in a variety of flavors. The main ingredients used in making cheez-it include enriched flour, vegetable oil, cheese made from skim milk, salt, paprika extract color, yeast, and soy lecithin. 27 of these crackers contain about 150 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 230 mg of salt. 

The ingredient content of cheez-it shows a prominent list of ingredients that are dangerous for dog health. Some varieties of cheez-it may also contain garlic or onion powder which is highly toxic for dogs.

Is cheez-it healthy for dogs?

No, cheez-it is not healthy for dogs. cheez-it contains a long list of ingredients that are harmful to dogs. These ingredients can potentially deteriorate your dog’s health in many ways. 

They have high salt and fat content and also contain ingredients such as cheese and enriched flour that can trigger allergies in dogs. Excess consumption of cheez-it can cause severe gastrointestinal issues in dogs which leads to diarrhea and vomiting.

So far we have discussed whether dogs can eat cheez-it If it is safe and healthy for dogs as well as the ingredients used to make cheez-it. Now let us discuss if dogs can eat white cheddar cheez-its.

Do dogs eat white cheddar cheez-its?

No, dogs cannot eat white cheddar cheez-it. Even though the salt and fat content of white cheddar cheez-its is lower than the original flavor, dogs should not eat them because they still contain prominent amounts of salt and fat. 

The salt and fat content of white cheddar cheez-its is enough to cause serious health problems in dogs. 

Moreover, they also contain enriched flour which can be problematic if your dog has wheat allergies or gluten intolerance. Therefore, it is better to avoid giving them cheez-its.

Can cheez-it cause sodium poisoning in dogs?

Yes, cheez-it can cause sodium poisoning in dogs. Cheez-its contain a prominent amount of salt which is bad for dog health. In general, a total intake of 100 mg per day of salt is recommended for dogs. 

Dogs are generally able to fulfill this amount from their dog food so feeding them cheez-its can significantly increase their sodium intake which can lead to sodium poisoning. Sodium poisoning can highly diminish dog health. Therefore, it is safe to not feed dogs cheez-its.

What are the symptoms of sodium poisoning in dogs?

Sodium poisoning is a serious health concern that occurs due to excessive consumption of salt. Salt poisoning not only upsets your dog’s stomach but can also cause long-term effects on your dog’s health. The symptoms of sodium poisoning include:

  • Nausea and Vomiting
  • Fluid retention
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Weakness and lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive thirst
  • Excessive urination
  • Lack of coordination
  • Severe cases can also lead to kidney failure,tremors, and seizures.

What should I do if my dog eats a bag of cheez-it? 

If you suspect your dog has eaten a whole bag of cheez-its observe him for the signs of vomiting. Notice if he is urinating more and drinking more water than usual. Diarrhea can also be observed in cases of overconsumption. 

Also look for the signs of fluid retention, weakness, and lethargy. If you observe your dog has a decreased appetite and has difficulty in walking, you should contact your vet and take him for a quick check-up as soon as possible.


We answered the question “can dogs eat cheez-it? We also talked about can cheez-its cause sodium poisoning in dogs?  What are the symptoms of sodium poisoning in dogs? And what should I do if my dog eats a bag of cheez-its?


Leave a Comment