Can dogs eat bees?

This blog will answer our important question, “Can dogs eat bees?” We will also talk about the outcome of consuming a bee, the major clinical signs of allergic reactions due to a bee sting, and how to treat your dog if he is stung by a bee.

Can dogs eat bees?

No, dogs cannot eat bees. Bees are dangerous for your dog because they can sting the gums and other parts of the mouth which results in swelling of these parts. This can lead to difficulty in breathing and ultimately the death of your dog.

What will be the outcome of a dog consuming a bee?

If your dog has consumed a bee, it can sting the oral cavity and the esophagus of your dog. The allergic reactions start in that area which leads to inflammation. In inflammation, the affected area swells. If any of the mouth parts swell, your dog will not be able to eat anything. 

If the esophagus is stung by the bee, it will swell, which can put pressure on the trachea. The pressure on the trachea can close the air passageway and it leads to difficulty in breathing and in severe conditions, the death of your dog.

If your dog is stung by a bee on the skin, then it is different. It is not very dangerous and simple therapy can help your dog to recover from such conditions.

What are the major clinical signs of a bee sting in your dog?

There are two types of clinical signs. One is in mild form and the other is in severe form. The mild form is not dangerous and your dog will recover soon. The severe form can lead to anaphylactic shock and sometimes the death of your dog.

Following are the minor symptoms of a bee sting in your dog:

  • Scratching at the affected area.
  • Restlessness.
  • Swelling in the affected area.
  • Lethargy.

Following are the major symptoms of severe form in your dog:

  • Respiratory problems.
  • Increased heart rate.
  • Swelling in the throat.
  • Swelling around the eyes and mouth.

How can you manage bee-sting at home?

If your dog is stung by a bee and you want to manage it at home, then you can do it. If the bee sting shows mild symptoms in your dog then you should wash the affected area with soap water and remove the stinger if it is present in that area.

After that, place ice packs on the affected area to reduce the swelling in that area. If your dog shows any type of reaction to it, immediately take your dog to the vet. Please do not give any treatment at home without consulting your vet.

Your vet will probably go for antihistamines depending upon the situation of your dog. 

Why do dogs find bees fascinating?

Dogs love to chase things. Bees are something your dog wants to chase. The continuous buzzing of bees is annoying, so your dog is triggered by it. Some dogs develop a phobia after being stung by bees. Your dog will vigorously chase the bees.

Some dogs are fascinated by their unique color. So, your dog will try to catch it, and in this attempt, your dog will eat the bee.

It is the inherent character of the dog species to chase such things. If you are a dog parent, you may have observed it too.

How can you save your dog if your dog has consumed a bee?

First, check the mouth and the lips of the dog. If you see any stinger, then remove it. After that, you should observe your dog for 24 hours to see any kind of allergic reaction in your dog.

It is very important to delicately remove the stinger. Do not try to pinch or pull it, this can result in a forceful injection of venom into the tissue. Gently scrape it and remove it. After that, take your dog to the vet.

How to prevent your dog from consuming bees?

The first thing you can do is to fence your dog if you are sure your yard has bees. After that, you need to search your yard to see if there is any nest of bees in the yard. Removing it will reduce the bees in your yard. 

Your dog will come across bees, you need to train your dog not to chase such creatures. A mild bee sting is sometimes beneficial because it tells your dog to pay respect to the flying creatures. 

Conclusion

In this dog blog, we answered our important question, “Can dogs eat bees?” We also discussed the outcome of consuming a bee, the major clinical signs of allergic reactions due to bee stings, and how to treat your dog if he is stung by a bee.

References

https://g.co/kgs/DTVk2A

https://wamiz.co.uk/dog/advice/21929/what-happens-if-my-dog-eats-bees#:~:text=Is%20it%20safe%20for%20dogs,from%20eating%20bees%20or%20wasps.

https://www.metlifepetinsurance.com/blog/pet-health/what-happens-if-my-dog-ate-a-bee/

Leave a Comment