Can dogs eat ant traps?

This dog article will answer the major question, “Can dogs eat ant traps?” we will also discuss the health hazards of consuming ant traps, what you can do to save your dog if your dog has eaten too many ant traps, and the precautions you should take to keep your dog safe.

Can dogs eat ant traps?

No, dogs cannot eat ant traps. Ant traps are not poisonous in small quantities for your dog but consuming a large amount can cause problems for your dog. If your dog consumes too many ant traps, it can lead to poisoning, intestinal blockage, and choking in your dog.

What are the bad effects of consuming ant traps for your dog?

Following are the bad effects of consuming ant traps for your dog:

Boric acid

Ant traps have boric acid which is not unhealthy for your dog if consumed in small amounts. If boric acid is consumed in large amounts it can cause toxicity in your dog. You should keep in mind that although the amount of boric acid is small in the ant traps, it can prove dangerous for your dog.

Following are the major clinical signs of consuming boric acid for your dog:

  • Congestion
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive salivation
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness

Citric acid

Some ant traps have citric acid in them. Citric acid is not healthy for your dog to consume. You should avoid giving too much citric acid to your dog. Citric acid can cause gastrointestinal upset and nervous signs in your dog if your dog has consumed citric acid in large amounts.

Choking

The plastic covering of the ant traps can cause choking in your dog if your dog consumes too many of them. 

Choking is the obstruction of the esophagus of the body. A blocked esophagus can also put pressure on the trachea which can cause a respiratory collapse in your dog. The respiratory collapse in dogs can be very severe as dogs are sensitive creatures.

Following are the major clinical signs of choking in your dog:

  • Gagging
  • Head towards the ground
  • Loss for appetite
  • Unable to vomit
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness

Intestinal blockage

The next problem is the intestinal blockage in your dog. If your dog manages to pass the ant trap through the esophagus it can get stuck in the intestine which can be very dangerous. The intestine is the major organ in the body that is involved in the digestion and absorption of nutrients.

Following are the major clinical signs of intestinal blockage in your dog:

  • Little to no feces
  • Loss of appetite
  • Distended abdomen
  • Painful abdominal on palpation
  • Vomiting
  • Restlessness

Intestinal lacerations

The plastic of the ant trap can cause internal lacerations in your dog. Intestinal lacerations are painful and sometimes they bleed. 

The bleeding can further worsen the situation for your dog. It can also cause peritonitis in your dog. The peritoneum is the layer that protects the body’s organs. If it is ruptured, it can lead to infection and it spreads to other organs of the body.

Indigestion

The ant trap is not the food of the dog. It remains indigested in the stomach of your dog. Indigestion can cause stomach upset in your dog. You should look for the following signs in your dog:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness

What can you do if your dog ate ant traps?

If your dog has eaten too many ant traps, you should observe your dog for 24 hours to see any abnormal behavior of your dog. If your dog shows certain abnormal signs you should call your vet.

Your vet will perform some tests such as ultrasound and x-rays because these tests will tell the vet if there is any blockage in the esophagus or intestine. 

If there is any blockage in the intestine your vet will discuss with you the possible options of treatment. The only solution is the surgical removal of the foreign body in the intestine.

What precautions can you take in order to keep your dog safe?

Following are the precautions you should take in order to keep your dog safe:

  • You should use dog-friendly ant traps so that your dog doesn’t get any toxicity.
  • You should set up ant traps in an area where there is little to no movement of your dog.
  • You should train your dog not to eat ant traps.
  • The smell of the ant traps is attractive so you should kill that smell.
  • You should observe the behavior of your dog in the house.

Conclusion

In this dog blog, we answered the major question, “Can dogs eat ant traps?” we also discussed the health hazards of consuming ant traps, what you can do to save your dog if your dog has eaten too many ant traps, and the precautions you should take to safe your dog.

References

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/dog-owners/disorders-affecting-multiple-body-systems-of-dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs#:~:text=Peritonitis%20is%20inflammation%20of%20the,or%20longterm%2C%20localized%20or%20widespread.

https://wagwalking.com/wellness/if-its-poisonous-to-ants-is-it-poisonous-to-dogs

https://www.cuteness.com/article/do-dog-eats-ant-killer

Leave a Comment