Can cats eat watermelon?

In this brief article we will answer the question,”Can cats eat watermelon?” We will discuss if watermelon provides any nutritional health benefits to cats. We will explain how you should feed watermelon to your cat. We will also talk about how much watermelon is too much for cats and if cats eat fruits.

Can cats eat watermelon?

Yes, cats can eat watermelon. It is safe and non-toxic to them but ensure that you feed them as an occasional treat in moderation. However, watermelon is considered safe for healthy cats so if your cat happens to have conditions such as diabetes, it’s best if you don’t feed it watermelon. This is because the simple sugars in it are easily digestible and can be absorbed.

Does watermelon have any nutritional benefits to cats?

No, watermelon does not provide cats with any nutritional benefit. This is because cats are obligate carnivores and they do not have digestive systems that are accustomed to fruits and veggies. 

Watermelon contains a lot of carbs and sugars and is therefore not good for cats with preexisting conditions such as diabetes or overweight cats. As mentioned, fruits are not a natural part of a cat’s diet therefore this might result in stomach upsets and diarrhea if they feed on a lot of watermelons.

How should I feed watermelon to my cat?

When feeding your cat watermelons, ensure that it is a small piece. Thoroughly wash the flesh of the watermelon and remove any seeds because they contain cyanide and present a choking hazard. Proceed to chop the watermelon into some small and manageable bitesize pieces before offering them to your cat. Just feed them a small piece as an occasional treat.

You should however steer clear of giving your cat watermelon as it’s difficult for cats to chew and digest melons and it can also result in other issues such as choking, intestinal blockages or stomach upset.

When it comes to feeding cats treats such as watermelon and other fruits you should ensure that you follow the 10 percent rule which translates to the treats making up only 10 percent and the remaining 90 percent being a balanced and varied cat pet food. 

How much watermelon is too much for cats?

Watermelon contains about 90 percent water and also has sugar. If regularly consumed by your cat it can result in conditions such as obesity and diabetes. If your cat’s blood sugar levels are raised on a frequent basis, it can lead to long term health issues. Symptoms of feline diabetes are:

  • Lack of appetite
  • Inability to jump
  • Constant urination
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive thirst

Can cats eat fruits?

Most cats do like eating watermelons although they do not like a variety of fruits. Cats do not consume fruits in large amounts and thus the sugar content in most fruits is not a major concern. Watermelon as mentioned is safe and non toxic for cats to consume however you should not feed your cats the below fruits:

Citrus

These fruits have citric acid which has been found to cause central nervous problems when consumed in large doses. In small doses, it can also lead to stomach upset.

Raisins, Grapes, Currants

All of these fruits have been found to be toxic to cats as per American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

Coconut or coconut oil 

This has been found to result in a stomach upset when consumed by cats in cats, according to American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

You can learn about fruits that are good for cats here.

Conclusion

In this brief article we have answered the question,”Can cats eat watermelon?” We have discussed if watermelon provides any nutritional benefits to cats. We have explained how you should feed watermelon to your cat. We have also talked about how much watermelon is too much for cats and if cats eat fruits.

Citations

https://www.rover.com/blog/can-cats-eat-watermelon/

https://www.dailypaws.com/cats-kittens/cat-nutrition/what-can-cats-eat/can-cats-eat-watermelon

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment