Soybean or Soya bean is a species of legume with East Asia origin, and are very rich source of plant-based protein and fat. This article will cover the concern “Can cats eat soybeans?”, what are the health benefits and risks of eating soybeans, how to feed soybeans to your cat, etc.
Can cats eat soybeans?
Yes, cats can eat soybeans but occasionally. Soybeans, including edamame, are high in protein and isoflavone, which helps bones in the retention of calcium. Your cat can have small amount of soybeans unless it has a soy allergy.
Cats are obligate carnivores, mainly feeding on animal-based protein content. Soybeans are not a part of their regular diet but there are some cat feeds that contain soy prepared in such a manner that it’s readily available for your cat’s digestive system.
What are the ingredients included in soybeans?
The ingredients in soybeans available to cats are as follows:
If your cat is an active furkid who spends her days jumping and climbing trees, iron supplements are essential. Iron is required in proper functioning of red blood cells.
Calcium is required for muscle contractions, proper nervous system functioning, transmission of energy impulses in cat’s body, and regulates the fluid contents in a cat’s cells.
This plant is also high in vitamin C, which is immune booster. Vitamin A is involved in resolving vision issues. Vitamin E serves as an antioxidant and acts in coordination with vitamin K to prevent blood clotting.
It’s essential for cats in a number of ways as it helps in hormones secretion, enhances enzyme activity, and strenthens bones and teeth.
There are a total of nine amino acids found in soybeans that are good for your cat’s growth. This high protein content provides enough energy for your pet.
Soybeans have high fiber content in them, which improves digestion and helps maintain gut health. However, excess fiber can be hazardous to cats and can cause stomach problems.
Soybeans contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats which are beneficial for your cat. These fats lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
What are the health benefits if your cat eats soybeans?
Following are the health benefits associated with soybeans consumption in cats:
- It’s a great source of essential nutrients like low calories, free from cholesterol, high fiber content, high in fiber, high protein content, Omega-3, and various vitamins and minerals.
- Consumption of soybeans can resolve constipation problems in cats.
- They support your cat’s digestive system in two ways. First, it sustains the gut microbiome. Secondly, the fiber content in soybeans may bulk up your cat’s stool.
- They have been helpful for weight management. Fiber induces sensation of fullness faster and for longer. In this way, your cat’s weight is kept in check by reducing food portions and curbing hunger pangs.
- They promote hydration as 90% of frozen soybeans comprises water. Feeding these beans has been helpful in averting dehydration.
- They help in muscle growth as they’re high in proteins.
- They reduce bone loss being rich in minerals known to promote bone strength and regeneration.
- They may boost up your cat’s immunity as they are loaded with antioxidants. Their consumption could help protect your cat from heart diseases and cancer.
What are the risks if your cat eats soybeans?
Soybeans have been a part of many complications observed in cats, some of them are mentioned below:
- They can flare up food allergies, sensitivities, or upset the digestive system.
- Skin conditions like hair loss, frequent scratching, reddish inflamed skin, or skin lesions are observed in cases of soybeans allergy.
- Difficult digestion of soybeans can cause bloating, sometimes vomiting, diarrhea, and upset stomach.
- Soybeans can also cause chronic ear infections, coughing, sneezing, or wheezing in some cats.
- Raw soybeans consumption can cause choking in cats.
What are the signs of soybeans allergy?
If your cat, being sensitive to any of the ingredients in soybeans, show allergic response, the signs include:
- Itchy skin
- Hair loss
- Excessive scratching
- Gurgling noises from their stomachs.
How can you feed soybeans to your cat?
- Make sure you soak the dried beans in water overnight.
- Heat them in boiling water for about three to four hours.
- Don’t add unnecessary flavorings to soybeans. As salts, onions, garlic, and other herbs are highly toxic for your cat.
- Start by giving a small amount of soybeans to your cat and monitor for any changes in eating habits, litter box visits, etc.
- If no change is observed in your cat’s behavior, you can feed her a bit more the next time around.
Today, we covered the article “Can cats eat soybeans?”, what are the health benefits and risks of eating soybeans, how to feed soybeans to your cat, etc. From the above discussion, it’s concluded that your cat can have soybeans but occasionally and in small amounts.