In this brief discussion, we’ll answer the question “can cats eat meatballs?” We will also talk about the harmful effects of feeding meatballs to your cat, what will happen if your cat eats meatballs and if there are any cat-friendly meatballs for your cat.
Can cats eat meatballs?
No, cats cannot eat meatballs. Meatballs are full of proteins but they also contain some other ingredients which are harmful to cats. These ingredients include breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
Feeding meatballs to cats can increase their chances of getting sick and developing an upset stomach. Traditional meatballs can put cats at risk of salt toxicity and hemolytic anaemia which can lead to fatal consequences. Therefore, it is best to avoid feeding meatballs to cats.
What are the bad effects of feeding meatballs to cats?
Meatballs contain some ingredients that can harm your cat’s health in many ways. Some of the bad effects of feeding meatballs to cats are given below:
- Cats can experience gastrointestinal issues from eating meatballs. They may suffer from diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain, gas and bloating.
- Cats can develop onion and garlic toxicity. Meatballs contain onion and garlic which can cause hemolytic anaemia in cats.
- Cats can become overweight from eating meatballs because they are high in fats and calories. This can further lead to obesity and put cats at risk of diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Some cats can also develop an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients used for making meatballs.
- Cats can also suffer from intestinal obstruction from eating meatballs. Depending on the size of the meatballs, cats can either experience choking or intestinal obstruction that can be really painful for them.
- Meatballs also increase the risk of pancreatitis in cats. Meatballs are high in fats which are different for cats to digest.
- Your cat can appear more lethargic or sleepy after eating meatballs.
- Cats may also lose their appetite. If that is the case, contact your vet as soon as possible.
Are there any benefits of feeding meatballs to cats?
Yes, there are some benefits of feeding meatballs to cats. They are an excellent source of protein and full of vitamins and minerals that cats need for the protein functioning of their body.
However, the cons outweigh the pros because some ingredients of meatballs can cause harm to your cat’s health. If you want your cat to benefit from meatballs, you can make cat-friendly meatballs for them at home.
What happens if my cat eats meatballs?
Your cats can suffer from uncomfortable symptoms from eating meatballs. Meatballs contain acidic ingredients which can increase the chances of stomach and intestine ulcers if it gets too acidic.
Additionally, the onion and garlic in traditional meatballs can cause hemolytic anaemia in cats. Cats can also suffer from uncomfortable symptoms of gastroenteritis. They can also develop pancreatitis from eating meatballs. Therefore, it is best to keep meatballs away from your cats.
What to do if your cat ate meatballs?
Don’t panic if you see your cat eating meatballs. Follow the guidelines given below to ensure your cat’s safety
- Firstly, take the meatballs from your cat and make sure you put them in a place where your cat can’t reach them again.
- Give your cat plenty of water to prevent dehydration. Since meatballs are high in salt, they can dehydrate your cat if they consume them in enough amounts.
- Observe your cat for the next 24 hours and look for the symptoms of food poisoning.
- If you notice any unusual behaviour or any symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea or abdominal pain, take your cat to the vet for a proper examination as soon as possible.
Are there any cat-friendly meatballs?
Yes, you can make cat-friendly meatballs at home. Even though cats cannot eat traditional meatballs, that doesn’t mean they cannot enjoy meatballs. You can make cat-friendly meatballs at home.
To make cat-friendly meatballs, you can use the meat of your choice. It can be turkey, chicken, lamb or pork. Make sure you do not add any seasonings or ingredients that are harmful to cats. You would need to add a safe binding agent for cats. You can use cheese, breadcrumbs or eggs for that purpose.
We answered the question “can cats eat meatballs?” We will also talk about the harmful effects of feeding meatballs to your cat, what will happen if your cat eats meatballs and if there are any cat-friendly meatballs for your cat.