Grits are actually porridge made from ground corn (maise) mixed with various liquids like milk, water or broth and are used as a breakfast dish in most southern parts of the world but “Can cats eat grits?”. This article will cover whether grits can be consumed by cats or not and much more.
Can cats eat grits?
Yes, cats can have grits in tiny amounts, but if it becomes a part of their diet daily, it can cause complications. Grits are made up of corn, a good source of carbohydrates, proteins, essential fatty acids and natural antioxidants.
Corn, the main component of grits, is declared safe for your cat. Corn by-products are also a component of cat food. Cats are carnivores of obligate nature, meaning they can fulfil their nutritional needs through meat and protein.
Cats don’t need that many carbohydrates for normal functioning, but they can store carbs as their energy reserves. Fortunately, grits are not toxic to cats and can be added to their diet to add flavouring.
What are the benefits cats can get by eating grits?
The grits are a rich source of carbs, proteins and other essentials of life. For cats, they are acceptable in minute quantities, so the cats can benefit from the grits as follows:
- Rich carb source
- Fatty acids
- Non-toxic (if given in tiny amounts)
- Energy source
- Minerals (Mg, P)
- Fibres (help in digestion)
- Add moisture to the pet’s diet if exposed to dehydration.
Grits provide nutritional values, but they can’t be wholly relied upon for cats’ dietary demands. It can be added as a supplement in addition to cat food. The complete source of nutrition will remain the cat food diet which contains minerals and vitamins necessary for growth.
What happens if your cat eats grit?
Cats can have grits in small quantity, as it contains cat-friendly ingredients besides milk (because cats develop lactose intolerance over time). It’s not the end of the world if your pet has some of your breakfast grit; make sure it doesn’t contain milk products.
Since dairy products contain lactose and cats’ digestive systems are sensitive and can’t deal with it, you may find your pet racing to the litter box right after having grits due to milk in it. Cats eating grits seasoned with different additives are also concern for the owner.
What are the possible ways your cat can eat grits?
Following are the ways you can provide grits to your cat:
- Make sure your cat eats plain grits but not mixed with milk.
- Grits should not be given to kittens because of their immature intestine.
- Start feeding grit to your pet in small amounts first and then gradually increase according to the capacity of your cat and observe it for any signs of complications during this period.
- Grits should not exceed 10% of your cat’s diet.
- Start by mixing ¼ cup of grits with ¾ cup of cat food.
- Grits should be cut into small pieces.
- Properly cooked and cooled grits should be given to your cat.
- Grits should be allowed to your pet in minute quantities, but your pet should not develop a habit.
- Avoid adding flavourings or salts to grits before feeding your pet.
- Grits mixed with different syrups and flavourings should not be exposed to your pet due to their high sugar content.
- Cats should not eat grits containing honey too. Although love is not toxic to cats, it’s also not a healthy choice for your pet.
- Shrimp, an additive in grits, should not be exposed to your cat due to its composition.
What are the possible complications if your cat eats grits?
Cats consuming grits up to the specific limit and in a controlled manner don’t get any health concerns. Still, those high consuming amounts can develop some complications, which are listed below:
- Stomach upset
- Hyperthyroidism (in the case of grits containing shrimp)
- Mercury poisoning (in the case of grits containing shrimp)
- Abdominal pain
- Choking hazard
- Digestive problems
These are the possible complications observed in veterinarians’ cats fed with grits. However, they can be treated with proper consultancy, so there’s nothing to worry about if your pet gets a bite of your grit.
What are the other properties of grits eaten by your cat?
Cats can eat grits to scrub their teeth and keep them clean. Cats, like humans, need to clean their teeth regularly to avoid gum diseases and tooth decay. Grits can also relieve some skin conditions in cats by scratching an itch. Grits can also help avert gastrointestinal problems in cats.
This article discussed “Can cats eat grits?”. Through this article, it’s been clear that grits are cat friendly in small amounts and can be added to a cat’s diet,s but it should not become a regular part of their diet. You can add grits to your cat food, but with the veterinarian’s consultation for a proper diet plan according to your pet’s health status.