In this brief discussion, we’ll answer the question, “Can cats eat cornstarch?” We will also discuss if cornstarch is safe for cats, if cornstarch is healthy for cats, the possible risks of feeding cornstarch to cats and if cornstarch can kill cats.
Can cats eat cornstarch?
Yes, cats can eat cornstarch but it is not recommended for them. Cats are carnivores and do not require to eat plant matter like cornstarch. Moreover, cornstarch does not provide any nutritional benefits to cats.
Eating cornstarch in high amounts can upset your cat’s stomach leading to diarrhoea and vomiting. Even though cornstarch is not harmful for cats to consume, frequent feeding can lead to obesity and put cats at risk of diabetes in the long run. Therefore, you should avoid feeding cornstarch to cats.
Is cornstarch safe for cat consumption?
Yes, cornstarch is safe for cats. In fact, some vets recommend food formulated with cornstarch for pets with food allergies. Besides, cornstarch also provides some dietary and skin care benefits to cats.
However, it is crucial to note that cornstarch should be fed in limited amounts because excess consumption can lead to several Gastrointestinal issues which can be really uncomfortable and painful for cats.
Is cornstarch healthy for cats?
No, cornstarch is not healthy for cats. However, recent studies show that it is allergenic to both cats and dogs compared to other carbohydrate sources. The allergens potential of cornstarch is much lower than corn flour.
Moreover, cornstarch is used as an ingredient in hydrolyzed protein foods. These foods are fed to pets with extreme food sensitivities. The hydrolyzed protein food is highly processed which reduces the number of proteins in food to the point that it is not recognizable by the immune system.
Cornstarch is used as a binder in such foods and is a healthy addition for pets with extreme food sensitivities. However, large amounts of cornstarch are not considered healthy for pets.
Is cornstarch bad for cats?
No, cornstarch is not bad for cats if given in moderate amounts. However, it is not recommended to make it a regular part of your cat’s diet since it mostly contains carbs and does not offer any nutritional benefits to cats.
Your cat will be fine if it eats cornstarch in moderate amounts but excess consumption can greatly upset your cat’s stomach leading to abdominal discomfort, nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting.
What are the possible risks of feeding cornstarch to cats?
The possible risks of feeding cornstarch to cats are given below:
- It can cause nutrient deficiencies in cats since it is exceedingly low in proteins, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
- Cats can suffer from GI complications including nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive drooling, constipation, abdominal pain, abdominal discomfort and loss of appetite.
- Even though it is less allergenic than cornflour, it can still cause allergic reactions in some cats.
- Cornstarch can raise the blood sugar levels of cats since it is high in carbohydrates and low in fibre. This makes it unsuitable for diabetic and obese cats.
- Cornstarch can increase the risk of heart disease in cats because it is mainly refined carbohydrate.
- Raw cornstarch can be contaminated with disease-causing bacteria. This bacteria can make your cat seriously ill if it is ingested.
- Eating cornstarch can also result in flatulence and bloating.
- Cornstarch can also lead to food poisoning in some cats.
It is advised to feed cornstarch in limited amounts and consult a vet before doing so. Taking precautions beforehand is better than dealing with the consequences later on.
Can cornstarch kill my cat?
No, cornstarch will not kill your cat. Your cat is not going to die from eating cornstarch. However, it can experience some stomach issues if it has a sensitive stomach. If cornstarch doesn’t suit your cat, it will most likely suffer from diarrhoea.
If you decide to feed food containing cornstarch to your cat, make sure to consult with a vet first. A qualified vet can guide you best according to your cat’s health condition.
We answered the question, “Can cats eat cornstarch?” We also discussed if cornstarch is safe for cats, if cornstarch is healthy for cats, the possible risks of feeding cornstarch to cats and if cornstarch can kill cats.