In this brief guide, we will answer the question “Can bearded dragons eat bananas?”, and discuss the nutritional benefits of bananas. We will also discuss if bearded dragons can eat banana leaves and peels and list down different ways in which you can feed bananas to a bearded dragon.
Can bearded dragons eat bananas?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat bananas but they should only be given to them once or twice a month. They love bananas and it might make you want to feed them bananas every now and then but you should not. Bananas should only be given to them occasionally, otherwise they will make them sick.
Bananas are highly nutritious since they are loaded with potassium which helps in the functioning of smooth muscles and nerves etc.
However the bananas contain phosphorus as well. The amount of phosphorus is much more than calcium. This can make the bearded dragons sick because they require calcium and phosphorus in the same ratio.
When there is high phosphorus and low calcium in a bearded dragon’s body, the phosphorus is going to bind all of the calcium leaving behind little to no calcium for absorption.
Calcium is essential for bearded dragons especially for their bones’ health. Without calcium, they can get weak or even develop metabolic bone disease (MDB). They can even get paralyzed.
Moreover, bananas are also high in sugar content which can lead to digestive problems, diabetes or even tooth decay. The high sugar content can also make them lose their appetite for other fruits and vegetables.
Bananas also have a sticky and mushy texture which can be a choking hazard for the baby bearded dragons.
So, now that you know how harmful bananas can be for bearded dragons when given everyday, just feed these to them occasionally.
What nutritional benefits do bananas provide to the bearded dragons?
Bananas should be given in moderation to the bearded dragons. They are nutrient rich fruits which provide a lot of health benefits to the bearded dragons. The benefits can include:
- Bananas are rich in potassium. It helps in the proper functioning of smooth muscles and nerves. It lowers water retention and also keeps the heartbeat in check.
- Bananas also contain antioxidants which protect the cells against free radical damage. Free radical damage can lead to a bunch of diseases such as cancer.
- Bananas are packed with minerals such as calcium, magnesium and iron. These minerals promote healthy bones and tissues.
- Bananas also contain vitamins A, B and C which help in promoting healthy eyesight, immune system and growth.
Can bearded dragons eat banana leaves and peels?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat banana leaves and peels as they are nutritious. Banana leaves contain vitamins B6 and B12. Vitamin B6 helps boost the metabolism of proteins and fats. It also keeps the immune system and nervous system healthy.
Vitamin B12 also helps keep the nervous system healthy. Banana peels contain minerals such as potassium and magnesium. They also contain vitamins B6 and B12.
Find out if you can feed dried or frozen bananas to your bearded dragons here.
How to feed bananas to bearded dragons?
There are many ways in which you can feed bananas to your bearded dragon. They are as follows:
- You can feed the bananas to your bearded dragon with the peel on. Just make sure to clean the peel thoroughly so as to remove any harmful chemicals like pesticides. Slice up the banana and put it in the food bowl.
- You can also remove the peel and then slice it up before placing it in the food bowl. You can remove the peel if you think that the bananas are not fully organic or if the peel has some toxic pesticides on it.
- Another way of feeding them bananas is similar to the way humans eat it. Peel the banana and feed it to the bearded dragon as it is, bite by bite.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can bearded dragons eat bananas?”, and discussed the nutritional benefits of bananas. We also discussed if bearded dragons can eat banana leaves and peels and listed down different ways in which you can feed bananas to a bearded dragon.